Peppies-Site Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Peppies-Site Forums

Fun Games and General Chat.

:dj: when radio is on air you can tune in by clicking on the Peppies-Jukebox link on the top of the page (members only) and by leaving it open you can browse the site content and join in with stuff all at the same time or if you join us you can join us in the irc channel to see whats being played, make requests and join in with us there too. :dj: ADVERTS DISAPPEAR ON JOINING OUR SITE ITS FREE TO SIGN UP AND REGISTER SO DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR AND JOIN US RIGHT NOW!! HELP US TO BUILD A NICE LITTLE COMMUNITY WHERE FUN NEVER STOPS............

CLI Server/Seedbox Setup: Debian/Ubuntu

Peppies™
    Peppies™
    Site Owner
    Site Owner

CLI Server/Seedbox Setup: Debian/Ubuntu  Empty CLI Server/Seedbox Setup: Debian/Ubuntu

Post  Peppies™ 11th February 2011, 16:01

This guide explains the steps required to take a Server Install of Debian to a server running Screen, ProFTPd, IRSSI & rTorrent. It is the most lightweight install you can do & I've found it gives the best speed on torrents. I don't profess to know it all when it comes to Linux, but I've had a few servers & know my way around Linux - I hope this helps some of you.

Please note: This guide does not give you a GUI, it's all CLI (Command Line Interface) based You can do pretty much anything through console & it uses less resources than a GUI install. If possible configure your server to RAID0 for best speeds.

1: Log into your server with PuTTy, username will be root & the password should be provided by your host.

2: Once logged in issue the following commands:

Quote:
    apt-get update

apt-get upgrade

3: Now your system is up-to-date, add your new user with the following command:

Quote:
    adduser <username>

4: Debian users need to install 'sudo' & add the new user to the sudoers list:

Quote:
    apt-get install sudo

Quote:
    visudo

Quote:
    # User privilege specification
    root ALL=(ALL) ALL
    <username> ALL=(ALL) ALL

CTRL X

Y

5: At this stage you need to login with your new user, so issue the following command:

Quote:
    exit

6: Login with your new user & issue the following commands:

Quote:
    sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

7: Now you need to install Screen, IRSSI, ProFTPd & some dependencies:

Quote:
    sudo apt-get install screen irssi proftpd build-essential libtool automake openssl libcurl3 libcurl3-dev libsigc++-2.0-0c2a libsigc++-2.0-dev libncurses5 libncurses5-dev libglib2.0-dev libnet-irc-perl libwww-perl libcrypt-ssleay-perl subversion

SCREEN allows you to run programs in the background so that you are able to log out of SSH without the program being terminated. IRSSI is a CLI IRC client. ProFTPd is an FTP Daemon, it'll automatically set up the config file so that you can login to your server via FTP with your server username & password.

8: Now you need to make some directories for your downloads etc.

Quote:
    mkdir downloads watch .svn

This is the directory naming scheme I use, downloads - stores all downloads, watch - rTorrent auto-starts torrents uploaded here, .svn - Subversion folder, the '.' at the start of the folder means that it's hidden.

9: Now to compile rTorrent, I strongly suggest compiling as you will get the latest version & avoid any bugs in older versions:

Quote:
    mkdir -p .svn/rtorrent/

This makes a hidden directory for all of your Subversion installs.

Quote:
    cd .svn/rtorrent/

svn co [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This downloads all of the files required to compile rTorrent.

Quote:
    cd trunk

svn up

When you want to install a newer version of rTorrent simply enter the trunk directory & issue 'svn up' then follow the commands below:

Quote:
    cd libtorrent

You must install libtorrent before rTorrent!

Quote:
    sudo ./autogen.sh && sudo ./configure && sudo make && sudo make install

And when that is complete...

Quote:
    cd ../rtorrent

sudo ./autogen.sh && sudo ./configure && sudo make && sudo make install

Once that is complete...

Quote:
    cd

sudo ldconfig

10: Now you need to make an .rtorrent.rc file, this file stores the settings that rTorrent will use.
    Quote:
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

11: Copy the above config & paste it into .rtorrent.rc

Quote:
    nano .rtorrent.rc

<right mouse button> to paste

CTRL + X

Y

Return

Current date/time is 13th May 2024, 20:33