Peppies-Site Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Peppies-Site Forums

Fun Games and General Chat.

:dj: when radio is on air you can tune in by clicking on the Peppies-Jukebox link on the top of the page (members only) and by leaving it open you can browse the site content and join in with stuff all at the same time or if you join us you can join us in the irc channel to see whats being played, make requests and join in with us there too. :dj: ADVERTS DISAPPEAR ON JOINING OUR SITE ITS FREE TO SIGN UP AND REGISTER SO DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR AND JOIN US RIGHT NOW!! HELP US TO BUILD A NICE LITTLE COMMUNITY WHERE FUN NEVER STOPS............

How to use uTorrent in windows and linux using wine

Peppies™
    Peppies™
    Site Owner
    Site Owner

How to use uTorrent in windows and linux using wine Empty How to use uTorrent in windows and linux using wine

Post  Peppies™ 13th February 2011, 18:31

We all use multiple o/s now a days and we all wonder if it is possible to use the same client for 2 different o/s which reflects the same stats for a particular torrent, well, in general you would say that i'm insane but, think twice. Yes, it is possible to do so and here, is how.

What we need here is a winxp system dual boot with ubuntu and use utorrent with wine.

THE GUIDE:

1. It is obvious that everyone uses utorrent in windows and if u don't then you can download it and use it. and remember to store the setup file somewhere you can easily find.

2. We should backup our utorrent stats and data before we start to in windows xp,
    c:\Documents and Settings/Username/Application Data/uTorrent

3. Now it's time to boot into Linux and set everything up. First we will need to install Wine. You can install Wine using the package manager in your respective Linux flavour. In Ubuntu, you can install Wine using the Synaptic Package Manager.

4. We have to setup Wine to map the correct drives to the correct drive letters. Before going ahead, make sure all the partitions you want are properly mounted in Linux. Go to the Wine settings in Applications>>Wine>>Settings. Or alternatively you can type the following in the terminal.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

You will see the above screen. Select the version of Windows you are using in the drop menu. Pls note that this image shows windows vista whereas we are doing the guide for windows xp.

Now, don't just add your application yet. We first we will map the drives to the correct drive letters. Select the "Drives" tab and you will get something like this.

You will see a list of the partitions you have mounted. We now have to map the drive letter used in Windows to the correct drive in Linux. You can click on "Autodetect" to map the drives. Autodetect didn't work for me, so I manually edited the path. If some drive letters are missing, you can add them using the "Add" button. Select the drive letter, and click on browse. Then give the path to the corresponding drive, which would be under /media/your_drive. For example, in my case, Data_1 is D: drive in Windows while Data_2 is E: drive. Leave the C: drive as it is. This is not the actual C: drive Windows partition. It is a virtual Windows drive created by Wine.

5. After mapping all your drives to the correct drive letter, we have to install utorrent in Linux. Go to the utorrent installation setup file location or download it from the website and save it in an easy location like the desktop. As a precaution, I have used the same version of utorrent on both Windows and Linux. So make sure you are using the same version as well. Go to the path you have the installation file stored and double click it. It should start the setup. If it doesn't start, fire up the terminal and type:

cd path_of_installation_file

where path_of_installation_file is the path where you have saved the utorrent installation .exe file.

If you have downoaded to the desktop, then type:

cd /home/your_username/Desktop

where your_username is your username in Linux

Complete the installation like you normally do in Windows. When it asks for the installation path, leave it as C:\Program Files. This will install utorrent to the virtual C: drive created by Wine.

6. Go back to the Wine configuration settings. Under Applications tab, click on 'Add application...'.

Give the path of utorrent.exe you just installed. The path would be:

/home/username/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/utorrent/utorrent.exe

where username is your username in Linux.

Please note the image shows windows vista but we are doing the same for windows xp.

7. After installation, start utorrent to make sure it is running. After knowing it is running fine exit the program. We now have to create a "symbolic link" of the utorrent folder in Linux to the utorrent folder in Windows. This is very easy. Just type in the following commands.

rm -r "/home/Linux_username/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/Windows_username/Application Data/uTorrent"

where Linux_username is your username in Linux and Windows_username is the username you use in Windows.
    This command would delete the utorrent folder for the Linux installation. Don't worry, we will replace this in the next command.

ln -s "/media/windows/Documents and Settings/Windows_username/Application Data/uTorrent" "/home/Linux_username/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/Windows_username/Application Data/uTorrent"

where Linux_username is your username in Linux and Windows_username is the username you use in Windows.

This command creates the symbolic link between Windows and Linux utorrent folders. You might be wondering what this symbolic link exactly is? Well, it simply is a file/folder that contains a reference to another file/folder. What this basically means is that, the utorrent in Linux will try to access the settings stored in the utorrent folder in virtual C: drive created by Wine. Now with this symbolic link, we give the reference to the utorrent folder in Windows. So when utorrent under Linux accesses the files, it actually accesses the files of the Windows utorrent folder.

8. Reboot your pc. I don't know if this is necessary, but at first it wasn't working for me, but after I had done a reboot to Windows and then back to Linux, I was able to see my settings and all torrents with stats in Linux.
    Once you reboot, start up utorrent. To start utorrent you can go to Applications>>Wine>>Programs>>utorrent.
    You can also type the following in the terminal

wine /home/Linux_username/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/utorrent/utorrent.exe

where Linux_username is your username in Linux
    You should be able to see all your settings and the torrents with stats.

One thing I noticed is, you won't be able to share the downloads that are downloaded in the C: drive since the C: in Linux is mapped to the virtual C: and not the actual Windows C: drive. But I guess no one really downloads anything in C: drive. So it is isn't much of a problem.

Conclusion:

I hope that this will help you all use utorrent on linux ubuntu and windows for your servers when uploading torrents to any torrent site

Current date/time is 16th May 2024, 04:16