Peppies-Site Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Peppies-Site Forums

Fun Games and General Chat.

:dj: when radio is on air you can tune in by clicking on the Peppies-Jukebox link on the top of the page (members only) and by leaving it open you can browse the site content and join in with stuff all at the same time or if you join us you can join us in the irc channel to see whats being played, make requests and join in with us there too. :dj: ADVERTS DISAPPEAR ON JOINING OUR SITE ITS FREE TO SIGN UP AND REGISTER SO DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR AND JOIN US RIGHT NOW!! HELP US TO BUILD A NICE LITTLE COMMUNITY WHERE FUN NEVER STOPS............

This is a tutorial of some of the things that'll help you make use of Google's features with searching. I hope this helps you figure out how to properly mold your search queries to get more accurate results. All examples used here only have the "quotation

Peppies™
    Peppies™
    Site Owner
    Site Owner

This is a tutorial of some of the things that'll help you make use of Google's features with searching. I hope this helps you figure out how to properly mold your search queries to get more accurate results. All examples used here only have the "quotation Empty This is a tutorial of some of the things that'll help you make use of Google's features with searching. I hope this helps you figure out how to properly mold your search queries to get more accurate results. All examples used here only have the "quotation

Post  Peppies™ 29th June 2010, 19:25

This is a summary + easier rewording of Google's help topic on the subject. Some things I found clearer than i could reword them, so I left them as is, but not much.

Choosing Search Terms:
    Say you were doing a school research for geography class about Mauna Loa's, the biggest volcano in the world, major eruptions. Rather than just searching for Mauna Loa, search for "Mauna Loa major eruptions" or "Mauna Loa 1926 1950".

Capitalization:
    Capitalization doesn't matter with Google searches. Searching Mauna Loa or MAUNA LOA will not make a difference.

Word Order:
    The word order of your search does affect the results. You'll get more results searching "Mauna Loa" than you would searching "Loa Mauna" or maybe just have the results in a different order but same results since it's the same keywords.

Exclusion of Common Words:
    Google ignores common words and characters such as "where" and "how", as well as certain single digits and single letters because they tend to slow down your search without improving the results. Google will indicate if a common word has been excluded by displaying details on the results page below the search box. If a common word is needed to shape your results better, you can add a + sign before the word, but be sure to leave a space between th previous word and the +. For example, you can search "Dude, +Where's My Car?" to help get more results about the movie.

"Quotation Marks":
    Another way to include common words in your search is with the use quotation marks. The quotation marks are not mainly for including common words, but to search that exact phrase. Say you heard Children of Bodom's Needled 24/7, but you didn't know the name of the song, so you searched a quote you remembered from the song, you could search 'lyrics "when the knife in my back starts to twinge n turn" ' without the 'single quotes'.

Word Variations:
    To help optimize your searches, Google checks the roots of the words you searched and other forms of the word(s). For example, if you searched "smashing my PS3", you would still get the ever so popular youtube video of SmashMyPS3.com's destruction of a PS3. (SEGA+Nintendo fan ^^)

Negative Terms:
    If you're searching for a word/term that has multiple meanings or occurrences in multiple various topics, you can use the - symbol behind a word you don't want to include in your results, of course leaving a space between the word before and the -. Say you wanted to do a search to see if there are any religions that believe in some stairway that leads to heaven and you were sick of getting Led Zeppelin results, you could search "stairway to heaven -Led -Zeppelin".

I'm Feeling Lucky:
    The I'm Feeling Lucky link is there for if you just want to go to the first result. For example if you searched "Church of Google" and clicked I'm Feeling Lucky, it would take you to churchofgoogle.com directly, rather than to a Google page with results.

Searching Within a Site:
    If you'd like to search a certain site for a term, you can use the site: tag. It would be used like this "Wii site:Nintendo.com" to search for all pages about the Wii in Nintendo.com.
    Thanks to mishkins for reminding me to put this point.

Looking for Definitions:
    If you're searching a word to get it's definition, you can search "define:anthropology" to get the definition of anthropology.
    Thanks to saintz0r for reminding me to put this point.

Searching Google for Wikipedia Results:
    If you're searching Google, but would like to get a Wikipedia result, you can add wiki as the first word in your search. So you can search "wiki sega" and you'll get Wikipedia's article on SEGA as your first result. This is mostly helpful if you have Google as your homepage, so when Google loads, you search your wiki search and click I'm Feeling Lucky to go directly to the Wikipedia article on the topic.

File Type Searching:
    Say you are looking for the lyrics of Arch Enemy's Nemesis in PDF format, but didn't know any tabs sites that do that. You can add filetype:pdf to your search to get only *.pdf files as your results. So you would search "Arch Enemy Nemesis filetype:pdf"

Searching the le:
    Adding intitle: at the beginning of your seach will let you search the titles ofthe pages. You must put a . between each of the words of the title. Say you were searching for a page with Smelly Boy Farts as the title, but you also wanted to look for one Fart Jokes written somewhere in there. You could search "intitle:smelly.boy.farts fart jokes" and you'll get results of pages with Smelly Boy Farts in the title and Fart Jokes in the text of the site.

Searching for Discographies:
    I personally find this a very lame technique since I'm a music quality whore, but others would find it very useful. If you were searching for a certain artist's entire discography for download on a website, just add "intitle:index.of" with the quotation marks in the beginning of your search. It's not a guaranteed thing nor is it a feature of Google. For example, if you wanted to search for some Megadeth MP3's, you could search "intitle:index.of Megadeth" and you would get lots of results that include Megadeth MP3's.

Related Links:
    If you're looking for other links that Google thinks are related to a certain link you have, you can add related: to the beginning of the search. This is helpful for answering this sort of question "if I like x artist, who else should I listen to?". If you search "related:soilwork.org", Google will give you results of official sites of other bands that you might like if you like SOiLWORK.

Other Pages Linking:
    If you have a new website and want to see what other websites are linking to your site, you can add link: at the beginning of your search. Searching "link:nevermore.tv" would show you which websites have a link that leads to Nevermore's official website.

Current date/time is 20th May 2024, 02:55